Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Oprah's Stroke of Insight

I was able to tape and then watch Oprah's show today (Tues.)which doesn't happen very often. It was a great show...she had on Brain Scientist Dr. Jill Bolte Taylor who wrote a book about her personal experience having a stroke. I so want to get her book, because it really was more about having compassion towards people, especially people who are physically ill and have to be hospitalized and then go through the recovery process. What an amazing way in which she described being coherent in her mind during this stroke and how she was able to get help for herself. I was inspired by her in that here she is a brain scientist and has the unique experience of having a stroke, surviving and then after years of recovery is able to share it with the world. If you missed this show - be looking for a re-run of it or maybe you can see it on youtube. It is worth it.

What I took from it was her amazing advice about how when someone is in the hospital; especially if they have had a stroke and cannot speak, how it is important to talk to them as if they can understand you - in other words don't talk to them like they are stupid, because they are not stupid they just cannot verbalize their thoughts. The other thing I found interesting is that we assume that we should feel bad for a stroke victim, because of the way they appear, and yet she described it like she lost all of her past and emotional baggage, so she was happy as could be. She had no worries and didn't even know what a worry was. I guess I never thought of it in that way before.

My Uncle Roger had a Stroke about 9 months ago and I haven't seen him since before he had the stroke. I have heard from others what progress he has made and of course lots of backwards steps. I have felt weird about seeing him, because I am afraid of feeling awkward. I feel like I would have done everything that this Dr. was saying not to do. I would never want to take someones dignity away just because I was afraid. I feel like now if I read "The Stroke of Insight" that I would be more aware of his needs and feeling instead of my own. I hope my Aunt Sharleen saw the show today, but if she didn't it would make a great Christmas gift I think.

That is all grasshoppers...(haha)
Nighty Night Everyone!!

P.S. - Here is the link to read more about Dr. Jill Bolte Taylor's Experience and about her Book.

http://www.oprah.com/article/oprahandfriends/oss/20080512_oaf_oss

2 comments:

Rhonda said...

I have it on my dvr but haven't had the time to watch it yet. But I will soon!

My grandma had a stroke a few years ago and it was always a little wierd to go talk an have a one sided conversation. To lessen the wierdnes I'd make my dad go with me...we lost dad and grandma this summer so the one thing I'm happy about is that she has her ability to communicate back. I treasure 2-way communication. Would hate losing that.

Smith Family said...

Hi, Cami! You emailed Sharleen about your blog, so now we know about it too! We have one that you'll have to check out too!
Kimmie