I will make this post short because I am whipped!!! I went to bed early this morning and then at 6:30 Slade calls me from downstairs saying, "Mom, Sadie is moaning and panting." (the panting has gone on for a few days now though). So I run downstairs and she looks a tired and ready, so I take her out to the back yard and I am watching her closely to make sure she doesn't deliver in the dirt. She paced around the yard and finally decided she was ready to go in. She paced around the house for a couple of hours while I sat and watched t.v. with Dylan (he had late start). So as were sitting there I look over at Sadie who was just laying on Daley's blanket and I see something dark next to her and sure enough it was a pup lying right next to her still in its amniotic sack. So I say to Dylan, "It's Puppy Time!!" and he was like, "Really?" and I said, "Come and look.". I was surprised that he actually came over and watched, but not without saying, "OH THAT IS SO GROSS!".
So I help get her breathing and whimpering and I check the gender - A GIRL! Well Daley had a lovely mess on her blanket now, but I was relieved that Sadie was finally giving birth. I have done this so many times, but the birthing process is AMAZING and I am so enthralled with the whole event!
I move the puppy into the other room that we had set up for her (a plastic pool) and she was off. About an hour later came GIRL #2 and and hour after that GIRL #3. I decided that I should go and put Daley's bedspread in the wash so that it wouldn't be stained and smelly figuring that I had about an hour to wait for the next one. I got the laundry going and went back to just check on Sadie and out came number 4 only 20 minutes later. I am again suctioning the mouth and nose and rubbing it to get it breathing and fluids sucked out and as I turn the puppy over I was happy to see a BOY!!
We are keeping the boy from this litter, because our other dogs are living on borrowed time and it will just make it easier to have a young one in the pack to help with the grieving process. The kids are sooooo excited! They are all gorgeous and I can't wait until they open their eyes and ears and are playing. This will be fun and gross all at the same time.
Sadie is such a GOOD Mama! I am so proud of her. She is so happy to not be preggo anymore and so am I.
Finally I can sleep - Sadie on the other hand is in NEW MOMMY mode and won't get much sleep. I can feel her pain for sure - only I am so glad I changed diapers instead of licking up all of the messes like she has to do - YUCK!!
Kewpie
2 days ago





3 comments:
Let me know when they are ready for little visiters, my kids would love to see them.
it's amazing how dogs can make birth look so easy!! for the first time in that past 15 years we are without any dogs. I thought i would like the "freedom" but it has taken a while to get used to the fact that daisy is not there. i think i've adjusted now but it takes a while.
Your dad just told me it was your Birthday yesterday. I just wanted to say HAPPY B-DAY! I hope you had a great one! LOVE YA TONS!!!
Post a Comment