I must start this off by saying that both Devin and I grew up in homes where Birthday's were ones where you were made to feel special by your family members and very close friends. Birthdays were always very low key and sort of "no-frills" applied. The only Birthday party that was anything BIG or whatever was Dylan's First Birthday Party. We had family and friends come to the park and we ate cake and opened presents and that was a huge deal. After that our rule for Birthday's is ALWAYS - 1)The Birthday Kid gets to pick what is made for dinner. 2)They also get to pick the kind of dessert they want (coincidentally always is chocolate cake w/ chocolate frosting). 3)If presents can be purchased (depending on family finances) they are always purchased with thoughtfulness and LOVE. 4) Flexibility is a MUST, because life happens and sometimes we have to go with the flow.
We have taught our kids to be grateful for everything they have. Birthday's are a day we look back to reflect on the life lived up until this point. It is fun to look at pictures from newborn on and see how much growth has occurred. Trust me, by 14 we can ALL see "The Growth" a happenin. My 14 year old has facial hair that must be shaved at least once a week and I do assist from time to time. This might be embarrassing to him maybe, but this is a huge step from being a kid to a young man in my eyes. Dylan is blessed to have outstanding hair genes from both sides of the family (maybe not hair on the head from my side, but certainly everywhere else :)), and Dev's side has some pretty amazing "follically" gifted men as well. He is set in the gene pool for hair.
So on to Dylan's special day...
He had asked for steak and shrimp for dinner, so I went to Fry's to accommodate his taste buds and also to get an ice cream cake which was also requested. We found all of our last minutes groceries and then we picked out one of those fun musical cards for Dyl. I purchased a gift card for iTunes, so he can download some sick tunes for his listening pleasure as well.
I got home and hurried to put dinner together. Dyl opened his card and he found his simple gifts and was very Thankful and content. I love to hear the thanks given and the sweet hugs and kisses Dev and I get in return.
Dylan loved his Birthday feast and also loved his Ice Cream Cake. This was the first ice cream cake we have had for a birthday and I must say it was quite delicious.
All in all it was a great day. Dylan was happy and that is all that matters.
Here are some pictures of Dylan's Chill B-day. Enjoy!
Dylan and his GQ pose.

Dylan with his Birthday Card.

Dylan's Ice Cream Cake.

Making a WISH!!

The BIG FINISH!!




1 comment:
ACK! I commented a big ol' HAPPY BIRTHDAY yesterday but it didn't post. I must've closed the laptop too soon. darn.
Anyway, HAPPY BIRthdAY DYLAN! You are amazing and so incredibly intelligent. I remember you at that cub scout age when I had you for a few months before your bday and you moved up. What a cutie Dylan is!
I hope this year is full of wonderful and happy things!
Post a Comment